Friday, February 3, 2012

Hunger Games are over, but my appetite was not completely sated

Well, I finished up the Hunger Games trilogy a few days ago with the third installment, Mockingjay. It did a good job of wrapping up the story, but not a whole lot more.

I don't have much negative to say, but there's not a terrible amount of great to say either. Don't get me wrong, I liked the story, really liked the story and I still recommend all three books. Mostly because the first book was really good and you HAVE to get some closure.

I can't say a great deal here, because I do not want to toss in spoilers for those who have yet to finish all three books, but I'll do the best I can, and say........POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT AHEAD!


Mockingjay wrapped up the story with a semi-happy ending but felt a bit lethargic to me. My favorite part of the tale was the message the story sent about blindly following an oppressive government and the dangers of depending on "the state". It made a good point about sticking to your beliefs and not sacrificing who you are....at all costs. Book 3, threw in another spin on the same theme about government being corrupt and having too much control, and I really liked that spin.

My problem was mostly with the pace of the story. Not that it was particularly slow, it just wasn't as quick moving as the first two books. Also, it seemed like Katniss(the main character) was not acting up the the character that had been established in the first 2 books. Yes, I understand that she had been through proverbial hell, and that it would take a big toll on the spirit, but I just don't think she would have sunk to the level that she did in the books. Of course, this was not my character to write, and I do respect the authors right to dictate these things. I guess it just wasn't what I expected of her.

When there was action, for most part it was pretty good, even riveting at points. It just seemed to me that there was a lot of unneeded hanging around. Almost like there was too much character building going on that never really developed into anything pertinent to the story.

All this being said, I still really liked the story. It has all the good things needed for me. A good plot about government control and the following plan to subvert that government, a tragic hero that overcomes diversity, some good action/fight scenes and closure. One thing I can say is, she wrapped up the trilogy with almost perfection. The final line of the final book was a perfect closing statement in any trial of literature. I definitely recommend all three books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any and all comments, please feel free to voice your opinion/disagreement etc.

 

Sample text

Sample Text

I review for BookSneeze®

Sample Text

Fate's Edge- Ilona Andrews
Tricked- Kevin Hearne (IDC 4)
The Doors of Stone (King Killer Chronicles) Patrick Rothfuss
Whatever Jim Butcher writes in 2012
Bear meets Girl- Shelly Laurenston
Biting Cold- Chloe Neill
Sacrificial Magic- Stacia Kane
Molly Harper- Jane Madison Nice Girls don't Bite Their Neighbors
Patricia Briggs- Omega #3
more, but that's a good start for now.