Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Picked up a new book

First I just want to apologize for the couple of weeks without a review. The sister and I both have been crazy busy with stuff going on. I picked up a book by an author I've never read before and tonight is my last night to work for a couple of days, so I should be able to knock it out and share my modest opinion.

In the meantime, I'll just share a semi-humorous tidbit about my visit to B&N yesterday morning.

I decided that I wanted to stop and pick up The Conqueror's Shadow by Ari Marmell. I was reading Kevin Hearne's blog and saw a link over to Mr Marmell's page and that particular book struck my interest. Anyways, I stop by the local B&N on my way home from work yesterday morning and mosey on back to the fantasy section to locate my newest read. Well, just as I'm about to step into one of the rows that contain all kinds of great fantasy books, one of the guys that work there stepped in front of me with a half amused, half curious look on his face and engaged me in some customer service based conversation.

guy: "ummm, sir, can I help you with anything?"
Me: "nope, I pretty sure I know where I'm headed, but I appreciate the offer."
guy: "eh, you sure?"
Me: "pretty sure, but I'll give ya a holler if I need ya."

So, I go over and start my search, I find all kinds of great books I want to pick up, but I'm on a mission here. I came for a specific book and that is the book I want. Well, I'm thwarted by all of the George R.R. Martin books, (I really like his books, I just don't have time to read the latest one right now..its way too long ) they are everywhere, and soooo alluring and keep me from being able to locate my book. So, I swallow my male, don't ever need help, pride and go and hunt down that book store feller.

Me: "umm, ok, I was wrong. I need help!"
guy: "no problem, what are you looking for?" (with an, I knew you were in the wrong area, smile on his face)
Me: " The Conqueror's Shadow, by Ari Marmell"
guy: "ok, let's see....OH! It's supposed to be in the fantasy area. Hmmm, you were in the right area. It says we have 1 copy, let me see if I can help you find it."

So, the very helpful young man accompanies me back to the same row, and we resume my search. Again, this guy is occasionally giving me a puzzled look, like I'm some kind of oddity. Like he was surprised that the book I came specifically asking for was in fact, a fantasy book.

We find my book, I go up front, make my purchase and exit the store. As I approach my truck and notice my reflection in the window, it dawns on me why this young man was a bit puzzled with me. He probably doesn't have very many extremely large men who pull up in an oversized truck and get out with blue jeans, boots, and a big white Stetson cowboy hat atop their head, and then head straight to the fantasy section.

Don't know if I ever mentioned I'm a country boy. :) Hope everyone is well and having a terrific week! Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We appreciate any and all comments, please feel free to voice your opinion/disagreement etc.

 

Sample text

Sample Text

I review for BookSneeze®

Sample Text

Fate's Edge- Ilona Andrews
Tricked- Kevin Hearne (IDC 4)
The Doors of Stone (King Killer Chronicles) Patrick Rothfuss
Whatever Jim Butcher writes in 2012
Bear meets Girl- Shelly Laurenston
Biting Cold- Chloe Neill
Sacrificial Magic- Stacia Kane
Molly Harper- Jane Madison Nice Girls don't Bite Their Neighbors
Patricia Briggs- Omega #3
more, but that's a good start for now.