Saturday, December 31, 2011

Best and Worst of 2011 and what to expect in 2012

I know my bro will weigh in later, but i wanted to throw down some literary thoughts for 2011 and tell you what you can expect for 2012. This has been a fun project for Del and I to partake and I plan on making this blog much more dynamic in the coming months.

What does that mean?

More reviews. I've read tons of books this past year and I'll be honest, I haven't found but a handful that I felt I would want to put on here. That I would even recommend that you read. But I see now that this kind of thinking is short sighted. I should just give my opinion on whatever I read. So from now on, that's what's going to happen. If I do not like a book enough to actually give it a rating, I'll just not rate it and give you my general opinion of the book. As I've stated before, I'm not here to rip someone's work apart. I'll be honest, but I'm not going to crucify someone. It'll be a simple recommend/do not recommend.

on to my favorites:
Best new author/great find
Kevin Hearne :  Iron Druid Chronicles
Guys, this series is super entertaining. The author is super nice, he actually interacts with his fan base. I have two, count em two, different things signed by him. One was a gift from my brother and the other was a prize I won, just for being a fan. How awesome is that?

Best Epic Book I read this year:

Patrick Rothfuss: The Name of the Wind
This book was so entertaining, I felt smarter after reading this novel. It's long, but don't let that scare you, the journey, you're allowed to tag along for is amazing and well worth your time as a reader. Give it a shot.

Best continuation in a series:

Ilona Andrews: Magic Slays Book 5 in the Kate Daniels Series.
I love this series, I've been reading it for a few years now. I love a bad ass female heroine with humor. She's authentic and you don't read the book and think to yourself "hmm, they seem to be trying to make her into some alpha butch woman who secretly needs rescuing" like so many other books with a female lead. Kate Daniels kicks ass and it's as simple as that.

Biggest Flop of the Year:
It would have to be the latest Sookie Stackhouse book. I know, shoot me, whatever. I don't care. I am not the writer and I am not the type of reader that gets pissed when an author does something and demand that they change it. blah blah. (Chicagoland series, I still love them even when she killed off a main character) But as a reader i have the right to not like where you're going, or how you've utterly changed the main character from a spunky, fun survivor to a defunct, somewhat sad shell of her former self character. I just didn't think it was a good book. I didn't find that humor that normally makes me like these books. It just is, what it is. I've stuck with this series, because I loved them. But it has just progressively gotten sadder and less dynamic with each book. I hope the next one turns it around.

See I feel like an ass for even posting that, b/c I really do enjoy Ms. Harris' writing, I just did not enjoy the last three S.S. books. oy.

anyway, that's my list for 2011. I'm sure Del will add more. Also in 2012, I plan on releasing chapters here and there for my latest book. So keep an eye out and I promise we'll be much more active in this coming new year.

your literary hound,
Deeds

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm... agree whole heart-idly on the Sookie books - what happened? I'm going to just re-read and enjoy the first 7 books. After that, it began to lose me :(
    And it's not easy being honest with reviews. I'm sort of at the stage now that if I didn't enjoy it, I pass on the review (and the book too ;p). I just don't have the time to waste! Good on you for doing it, it takes effort and careful thinking to write a good AND informative review! We need more of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di - I need a blog button for this blog :) it's so very cute and I want to pop a link to it on my blog :)
    Damsel in a Dirty Dress

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate any and all comments, please feel free to voice your opinion/disagreement etc.

 

Sample text

Sample Text

I review for BookSneeze®

Sample Text

Fate's Edge- Ilona Andrews
Tricked- Kevin Hearne (IDC 4)
The Doors of Stone (King Killer Chronicles) Patrick Rothfuss
Whatever Jim Butcher writes in 2012
Bear meets Girl- Shelly Laurenston
Biting Cold- Chloe Neill
Sacrificial Magic- Stacia Kane
Molly Harper- Jane Madison Nice Girls don't Bite Their Neighbors
Patricia Briggs- Omega #3
more, but that's a good start for now.